Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Heading Towards My True North...

May be I really needed a break.  Everything was just too much for me, with no scope to begin new ventures.  And those things which I left in the past were just left-over.  All that I had in my life was just office, office and office during weekdays and some time during weekends which used to just swift away within no time.  

The fact that I took a twelve day leave from my work (eight weekdays actually) really bothered me initially.  But after having spent three of those, I now feel that I am good on it.  Just imagine, switching off my cell phone was never so wonderful earlier as it is now.  I am totally out of touch with those who want to contact me for N number of reasons.  And I am still within reach for those whom I would love to be in contact with.  Isn’t that simply amazing?  He he he…

Now that’s what you can expect from a person like me…I will give 100% of my dedication when I am at work but will not give anyone even a single chance to contact me when I am not working.  He he he…

Three days have gone by and I still did not feel the pressure of my exam.  Although, I have used the first day just to relax and watch a movie at PVR.  Second day was actually used by me to complete a chapter on Ethical Practices in Investment analysis.  I am glad I finished it completely. 

While browsing internet, I saw few videos on Youtube.  One such video turned me upside down.  It was a lecture given by Professor Shankar at ISB Hyderabad on the topic – finding your true north.  I never attended even a single class during my college days…and see I am so anxious to attend them today even on Youtube…he he he.  The lecture took two of my hours and I am happy that I was completely engrossed in it right from the beginning till it ended. 

The professor did mention about finding our true north and then living it.  According to him, awareness, attention, action and reflection are the four factors that take us to our true north.  It was a lecture that urged me to do some soul searching.  The third day of my leave was completely used in asking me few questions and seeking answers to them.  You can call it rediscovering self.  I somehow discovered a huge guilt within myself for consciously being away from many things that I used to do during childhood.  Bird-watching, Painting, Martial Arts, Meditation, Trekking and listening to Music were few of my passions when I used to be in school.  Also, aero-modeling and swimming were those things which I liked but never had enough money to indulge myself with them. 

In past six years, I used to think that only watching movies at PVR can relax me.  I failed to understand that there were many things that I could have done to rejuvenate myself from hectic work pressure and heinous office politics.  I was simply not satisfied with the gifts that work life gave me in the form of body pain, a cartoon like disfigured body and severe mental tension.  After that soul searching exercise, I really felt that I should rebuild life on those long lost passion that I possessed during childhood. 

Subsequently, the pursuit of happiness led me to finalize few things that I would like to do this year apart from working…

Regular study for a good educational credential

Regular Martial Arts practice

Listening music

Bird-watching,

Trekking &

Visiting new places during weekends

Since, I am already learning new concepts of investment research and risk management; I am already pursuing my educational aspirations.  The need is to bring rigor into it.  I don’t know how I will do it, but then, I will do it.  

Yesterday I did some browsing on Martial Arts Coaching Centers operating in Gurgaon.  I finally ended up speaking to Gunjan Sharma, who is a Jeet Kuni Do instructor.  My Jeet Kuni Do training will begin from tomorrow and today I have plans for purchasing a sport shoe and new track suite.  He he he…

Yesterday, I purchased a new audio CD of Dev.D and uploaded the songs in my laptop.  I really enjoyed the creative compilations of Amit Trivedi, the music director of the album.  I would shop some more of music for my iPod. 

I also got a new collection titled – The book of Indian Birds by Salim Ali.  It is a book that I intended to purchase when I was in school but never had enough money to do so.  I am glad the book is in my shelf now and I have also started browsing internet for a pair of good binoculars.  Also, I now have three new people on my networking list who have already started interacting with me on topics related to bird-watching. 

During my school days, I was associated with World Wide Fund (WWF) for Nature India.  I would be visiting its Delhi office today to seek its regular membership.  I am sure, apart from working for a good cause to preserve nature; it would definitely offer some trekking and natural sight seeing camps in the coming future.  By the way, a month ago, I already visited Bareilly & Nainital along with Sumit.  It was an unplanned trip which offered me great insights about touring places.  Now it’s time for me to explore other parts of North India till I am in Delhi.  I really need to live by the phrase – the world is not enough…he he he

While gifting an Arrow Shirt to Brijesh (DAMM team member) on his birthday, today I was content enough to have friends like him along with Puneet and Manoj.  Initially, I had certain inhibitions about them as I never liked BPO employees.  However, gradually I realized that being from BPO background does not necessarily mean they are evil.  If I work in a BPO, I should not remain aloof from the fact that there are other good people also who are making their livelihood from the same industry.  Well, they are very few in numbers, but then the point is…They are.  Being with them, I sometimes become nostalgic as they do remind me of my friends during my college days.  I need to teach them seriousness and in turn seek an opportunity from them to spend some casual moments even in work life. 

Above all, I talked, talked and talked on numerous topics with my Mom and just felt life.  My work timings are such that I hardly get time to interact with her.  Taking a break from work now has given me enough time to be with her.  I took her out and watched a movie – Firaaq along with her.  It is something that I rarely did in past few years. 

I don’t know if I am actually heading towards my true north.  But I would really feel good if I pursue things close to my heart.  Quality Management is all about reducing variations and defects and I learnt & practiced it in my work life.  It’s time for me to implement it to my personal life as well so as to live an overall Quality Life. 

Of course, work would still be my priority.  But it will not be the only one, anymore.  He he he...

No comments: