Monday, August 18, 2008

Dressed To Thrill...

I still remember, during one of those networking breaks at Proto.in (an event only for entrepreneurs, a month ago), few business plan contestants were preparing themselves for their presentations. One of them was presenting an idea called Lipikaar...which had something to do with all the Indian Lipi's (text's). He was dressed in an executive formals. A light blue shirt under a navy blue suite. Now I don't really remember the colour of his tie, but yes he was wearing it. Well, I generally like those people who mean business atleast during the time of business. So I gazed him, liked him and moved on to see what other contestants are doing.

To my surprize, Mr. Mahesh Murthy, who amused me a day earlier through his speech on "Brand Recognition" and "Product Positioning" came and sat just next to me. What a pleasant surprize to be seated with a guy who heads Passion Fund and Pinstorm, two leading venture capital companies established by him. Suddenly, he is greeted by two people, those who were about to present the Lipikaars. It seemed, that Mahesh and those people were not strangers. And then Mahesh asked that lady, "I saw Santosh, where is he? And why is he so well dressed?, I want an explanation. I don't expect of him to do these kinds of foolish acts...hey Santosh, come here...what the hell? Why these suite boot? Why a tie...?" Santosh was literally embarrassed and he slowly explained something to Mahesh in his ears and both of them were back to business. But what is this? Why am I feeling concious? Hey, even I am wearing formals, although without a tie, but yes formals are formals. And soon the next presentation on "Pic Porta", an online picture based website began, during which Mahesh received a call and he went outside the auditorium. Hoooooooo...I was feeling puzzled, surprized, amused, shocked...but then released too...as Mahesh left that place...he he he

Today, while I switched on my laptop, I saw Mahesh Murthy online on Gmail. We are already networking each other through Orkut. So I felt like chatting with him. I pinged him and then our discussion over business and entrepreneurship started...through gmail chat. I asked him casually, as to why he was scolding Santosh on his attire during the business plan contest. He explained me..."Only Entrepreneurs have the liberty to wear casuals during business time...formals are worn by employees, whereas casuals are worn by confident people, those who beleive themselves and have passion to live life according to their own terms and conditions...Formals are nothing but prisionwares, whereas casuals represent our choice" I respected his way of thinking, as to me, it appeared to be original. Although, I am not aloof from these kinds of theories, as many people including Shivani, Satyam, Bhaskar and others questioned me about my choice of attire...but then if a person of such a stature (Mahesh) says something which you really do not beleive in, you would atleast give him an ear for his original thoughts.

Yesterday was Rakshabandhan. And while tying Raakhi on my wrist, "Moni" presented me a pair of Jeans and a T-shirt. She said, "Bhaiyya, you look young in casuals and it's been ages that I have seen you wearing them...you don't even purchase them anymore, so thought to revive you slightly...Although it is not your regular Levis, but a Lee Cooper and a Bare, try them for their difference" My Mom supported her. And I was speechless...even my family members want me to look young and trendy...he he he...

How can I forget the words of Mr. Henry D'Souza, former Country Director of Xchanging India. During a casual interaction with him on a circket playground, Mr D'Souza praised my attire, thereby saying..."The first rule of being a professional is to look professional...and I am happy that you present yourself professionally...I really like your choice of ties very much...however my dear, this is a playground". he he he...I realized that I was in my executive formals even on a cricket playground.

And when I was in Malvern, Philadelphia, even Debra Detwieler, Sr. Vice President of Wachovia Wealth Management Services, praised my attire thrice during my two month stay. For that matter, she is the best dressed female on earth, I have ever encountered in my life. Just look her, and her attire would force you to respect her...

Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...I AM CONFUSED NOW...what the hell...? What to wear? Why to wear? When to wear? Too many things and too many logics...Mahesh is a confident entrepreneur and has his own voice. Moni and Mom are my life...Henry is adorable. Debra is respectable. And all of them have different idealogies about dressing...what is mine?

I decided to find out an answer to this question...So I kept all my dresses in my almiraah...and thought to choose the one without thinking of any logic...

I shaved, had a nice shower...came to my room where the almiraah was located and closed my eyes. It took me near about 20 minutes, to arrive at Zero Mind, a meditation stage free from logics, thoughts, obstacles and worldly pleasures. I opened my eyes and glazed at all my dresses...Chose the one which I (read it again...it is "I") wanted to wear...It was my choice...and in next ten minutes, I was in my Flourshiem, (brown leather shoes complementing my brown leather belt)...comfortably swifted in a light yellow Zodiac (shirt) along with chocolate brown Blackberrys (two peice suite). On the top of it, the knot of my Code (tie) was slightly European styled.

On my request, my Mom asked me..."Who are you?"...and I replied..."BOND...SHAKEN, NOT STIRRED" he he he

While rejecting a tempting job offer from Bank Of America...I was asked, "What type of Banking do you specialize in?"...I slightly pushed the knot of my Code upward and replied..."HOSTILE TAKEOVERS"...he he he... Can we do that wearing casuals? The answer is...NO...he he he...

I don't know anything about cricket and other games...but in those Executive Formals, I feel..."I am mentally gamed for BUSINESS."

Get ready for some serious...MURDERS & ACQUISITIONS.


Bond

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Well, we have plenty of evidences to show how contrasting views in even well-known proverbs exist and cancel each other out.
1. ‘Absence makes the heart go founder’ or ‘Is out of sight out of mind’?
2. 'Don’t judge a book by its cover’ but then ‘do clothes make a man’?
3. ‘Nothing ventured, nothing gained’ but isn’t it ‘Better to be safe than sorry’?

In each of the above statements, endorsement or rejection can occur depending on the views each one of us have, and the situations in which we choose to apply them.

It is all about that ‘given this point of time, what turns you on’?

So, Make Merry in your Meticulous Mannerism, while doing Murders & Acquisitions! :)