Saturday, August 23, 2008

Practicing Corporate Traditions...

My first encounter with Genpact / GE Capital was in the year 2002, when the recruitment guys of this company came to Nagpur for handpicking Process Associates. Those days I used to be jobless and used to conduct coaching classes for earning some money...let me hide a fact from you all...I had only one student who used to attend my class...he he he...Payal Bindra...

Well, as all of my friends did, even I appeared for the interview...I cleared all the six rounds, however during my HR round, I committed a grammatical mistake. Since I was not a regular English speaker, even during my college days, I never thought that committing a grammatical mistake can lead me to serious failures. And seriously, English is still not used to practice BHAAIGIRI in the world of small crimes...and those were my college days when the so called jantaaa janaardan used to call me DATCH BHAAAAAI...he he he...and that too in Hindi...not in sophesticated English. The interviewers asked me...about my IBS Hyderabad (MBA) experience. When I told them that due to some personal problems, I did not WENT there, they immediately caught my mistake...and pointed me..., "Rishi will it be DID NOT GO THERE...or DID NOT WENT THERE?"

And just to show confidence, I replied, "DID NOT WENT THERE"...he he he...WELL, the interviewers showed me the EXIT doors...with the saaaaaaaame confidence as shown by me...along with a gooooooood feedback...he he he

After working for Convergys for two years, I spent another six months working on my business plan to become an entrepreneur. An intolerable experience at Convergys made me mentally irritated, to work for any other company. So I decided to start my own business. And for that, I had no money...no idea...no experience...no support. All I had was foolish guts and some kind of unexplored fire in my belly...which still is unexplored...he he he...By fifth month, my bank account started showing three figure deposits. With no one besides me, and that too with a mindset that I will not borrow any money from my family, I had to come back on the grounds of reality...and then again I started thinking of finding a job...he he he...now that's what I used to call "Taking Calculated Risks" those days (and wasting six months). All my calculations proved to be wrong...he he he...So once again, I started my trail of appearing for interviews...

It was somewhere around May 2005, when I was referred to Genpact / GE Capital by some unknown consultant for a vacancy of Process Developer...this time I wanted to find a Finance related profile...but had no idea as to what in Finance?...nor did I possess any contextual or conceptual knowledge about finance. All I wanted was A FINANCE PROFILE...he he he...how silly, isn't it? And on the top of it, I thought that I had two years of experience, that too from a branded organization, so I would not face any challenge in getting a job...he he he...CHANE KE JHAAD PE CHADHNAA KOI MUJHSE SEEKHE...

When the interviewer asked me as to what type of profile was I looking for, I very casually said, "something in finance". he he he...He asked me, "What in Finance?"...and I was like a blank paper...To my dismay, this time also, the interviewers showed me the EXIT doors...with the saaaaaaaaame casual style as shown by me...again with a goooooooood feedback...he he he...

After few days, when I had a discussion with one of my friends, she asked me how is GE Capital...? And I said, "Mat poochh yaar...saara din interview lete hai...aur raat ko ek goooooooood feedback deke bhagaa dete hai..." he he he...

Since then, series of transformation happened and I don't really know how?

Three days back, Navneet my manager called a meeting and announced my promotion. Just an year ago, I was recruited as a Management Trainee (even though I never applied for a job proactively), was sent to States on an onsite for transitioning a process called..."Something In Finance"...he he he...and now they promoted me as an Assistant Manager. Guess which company am I working for? Genpact / GE Capital...he he he...

Just one thing would be worth mentioning over here is, "FEEDBACK SESSIONS STILL HAPPEN IN GENPACT"...Ask Subhasish, Sumit, Chitra, Charan or for that matter anyone associated with IPMG team, and they would joke around, "Why are you looking sad? Did you get a GOOOOOOOOD FEEDBACK from Rishi...?" he he he

Now that's what PRACTICING GE HERITAGE is all about...he he he...(Take it positively as it helped me a lot) I am sure, one fine day all my team members would rise in their respective careers (to Manager and VP levels) and carry on the same legacy...Aameen...he he he

2 comments:

Shyam said...

Hi Mr Bond Nice one,Well Blended AutoBiography with a pinch of Humour.... How come i have never received a Feedback?

Rishi Gajbhiye said...

Hi Shyam...Thanks for reading it...The reason you never got a feedback is that I never caught you deviating from the so called normal path @ Genpact...once you do that, even you will enjoy the same pleasures as other's did...he he he...By the way, a very Generic an Honest Feedback to you would be...YOU ARE GOING GOOD...Continue doing that...