Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Goodbye Dear Preachings & Teachings

“The best way to multiply knowledge is – Divide it.” 

Now that is something which I used to believe ever since childhood.  Not anymore…he he he…

The sentence looks good only in terms of optimism.  It emits positive radiance when read with an innocent mind.   It obviously qualifies to fit into those forwarded emails that we randomly send to all in our email lists.  It also has the power to be highlighted on the flashboards under the heading “Quotation Of The Day”, where in people would read it, feel good about it and then forget it after few hours.  He he he…

Ever since I mended myself, I developed conscious awareness about what I wanted from my life.  Words like Business, Valuations, Investment Analysis, WallStreet, Mergers & Acquisitions, Equity Research, Financial Modeling, Entrepreneurship, Business Plans, Project management, Six Sigma and so on an so froth are not just words for me anymore.  They became way of my life. 

I always remain eager to acquire knowledge about topics that interests me, for the simple reason – I want to be on the top of them.  I don’t want to be speechless or ignorant when someone asks me things pertaining to them.  By the word “someone” I do not mean that any Tom, Dick or Harry elevate himself and asks me petty questions which I don’t even feel like answering.  It actually means someone intellectual enough, whose question reflects his/her substance.  On the top of it, while looking into the mirror, I don’t wish to feel ashamed of having incomplete / inappropriate knowledge about these topics.  Believe me; feeling ashamed of facing my self in a mirror would be the worst mortification that I may ever set for myself. 

Now let’s come directly to the hard fact of life…Can any Tom, Dick or Harry develop his knowledge to raise his intellectual capital?  Well, personality development gurus & most of the self help books would give you an affirmative answer to this question, except me.  He he he…You really need to be a fighter if you want to prove your mettle in acquiring knowledge and being dexterous in a particular field.  And if you are a fighter, believe me; you do not fall in the genre of being any Tom, Dick or Harry.  By being a fighter, you have already created your own class, which separates you from rest of the mass. 

Willingness – is something which comes very naturally to most of us.  However, there are people who remain ignorant to many facts and hence lack willingness.  How can a person develop his knowledge pertaining to LBO Modeling if he does not even know the concept of Leverage Buy Out.  Lack of technical and fundamental know how, becomes the prime factor in their lack of willingness too.  And for those whom it comes very easily, it does not qualify as willingness, unless you actually work towards its fulfillment. 

Time & Energy – are the actual price which people often pay in getting those immaterial things into their life that they almost tend to ignore their opportunity cost.  People remain busy in unnecessary clubbing every Friday night.  Daaru / Disc party is something which they can not resist.  Bitching, fighting, making pseudo relationships and doing all sorts of foolish activities in getting the attention of those hanging whores and bastards are just examples of wasting time & energy efficiently.  He he he… And then, people say…Yaar Time Nahi Milta aajkal…aur mil bhi jaaye to energy nahi bachti…he he he

Focus – what’s that?  He he he…Most of us feel jittery when we encounter this word as we often feel that focus has something to do with high form of meditative concentration.  He he he…Isn’t that so?  Well, one just needs to be consciously aware of his moves every time, thereby making it better in every future step taken in the direction of achievement.  Nahi samjhaa naa?…he he he…I knew it…let me make you understand your way…remember how badly you tried on that guy / girl whom you liked very much and did everything to get him / her in your life?  If you have reasons for not having that guy / girl in your life today, you were not focused enough…otherwise you pretend to show that you don’t know that F word…he he he…Most of us understands this word only when used for such reasons.  Now what do we call it?  Irony, isn’t it?  He he he

Money – now how the hell is it related to knowledge development?  Even though people earn hefty salaries, they don’t feel shy in asking for borrowing those sources of knowledge which they can easily get from the market by spending just few hundreds of rupees.  According to them…Why to waste money in purchasing magazines, books and training materials?  People like Rishi hai naa…wohi karenge ye sab…all they have to do is to be in the company of Rishi type people.  So what do they do with their money?  Movies, Dating, Daaru Party, Ladkiya, Dresses, Levis, Reebok, Make Up materials…Uff...And they have to maintain their living expenses too…right?   Sorry, I forgot to mention about those savings which parents would like to see in their banks too…isn’t it? 

Few months ago, I started imparting some training sessions among various groups.  The idea was to multiply knowledge by dividing it.  At first, people were interested in acquiring knowledge about various concepts.  But then, within few weeks, I realized that I am just wasting my time in giving them knowledge for free.  I was not charging anything in lieu of knowledge transfer…how the hell would there be focus, energy, time and willingness.  He he he…People started taking the training sessions for granted.  None of the trainees used to come prepared by revising concepts taught a day earlier.  He he he…They had all sorts of reasons and excuses but no results.   Few even crossed the line of respect and integrity.  He he he…However, they all wanted to be the supreme knowledge bearers without actually working for it.  So they still expect foolishly that I would be continuing those sessions.  He he he…

Do you really think that I would divide my hard earned knowledge to those who want to grab it for free?  Well, I learnt my lesson.  The lesson is – The only way to learn & acquire knowledge is the Hard Way…Only then people would respect it.  Let the hardships of life teach them their own lessons…only then, true learning would happen…

Just imagine…is it that very easy to create willingness, invest time & energy, remain focused and spend huge amount of your hard earned money for acquiring that very thing called…knowledge?  If your answer is yes, think again…

Every month, I read more than 20 business magazines, both national and international just to track the pulse of the market.  The entire cost of my books, magazines and audio / visual business CD’s cost me around four thousand rupees per month.  I consider that as fixed expenses.  I don’t think that amount is peanuts for a guy who considers himself highly underpaid.  Despite of spending close to 14 hours per day in the office, I still manage time to blog, surf information on internet, read business magazines, watch diverse movies, go through financial/business websites four times a day, read business books by well renowned international authors and then study quantitative concepts like Investment Sciences.  Do you all really feel that I have been blessed with few more hours in my watch?  Do you all really feel that my body automatically prepares Glucon D & Bournvita every now and then?  Do you all really think that I don’t have urge to execute friendship and be with my family members?  He he he…Think again…

It’s not easy.  It’s really not so very easy to build knowledge about a particular subject.  One has to go through several hardships prior to building it.  How easily people think that I will share it with them, even though they fail in executing respect in lieu of it? 

I am still ready to multiply knowledge by dividing it…but only to the super-deserving candidates.  Now who decides whether you are super-deserving or non-deserving?…no…it’s not me…but your ability to create willingness, your motivation to invest time & energy, your level of focus and finally your capacity to spend your own hard earned money in grabbing that piece of knowledge.  Now I won’t walk along with people and will only show way.  Because I still have many things to learn and I can not waste my time teaching / preaching people as it has a huge opportunity cost associated with it…atleast for me, isn’t it?  

No comments: