Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Banking Dilemma...


Quite a few times, I have this habit of postponing things to the extremes. If I have to submit my exam form, then nobody can stop me from doing so, but only on the last day. He he he…because procrastination is well imbibed in me when it comes to things I am not so very concerned about. And that’s what makes me a guy with a late back attitude when it comes to filing tax return (never did it in past six years), paying my cell phone & credit card bills, internet service fee and so on and so froth…he he he…Although I do pay my bills every month, but no…not well on time…infact, I just love postponing it to the last date of payment…and yes…after doing it so many times, it undoubtedly became my second nature…

Yesterday, it was 12 noon in the clock when my cell phone started buzzing. And no…it was not a call, but a reminder to pay my HSBC and SBI credit card bills as it was the last date of making the payment. Oh God! Only I can understand how disturbing was that reminder for me?...After all I had to sacrifice those few hours of my daily dose of sleep just for the sake of going to the bank and making a cash payment. Now that’s what happens, especially when you don’t have even a single leaf in your cheque book and you really don’t intend to make online transactions in this bloody world of cyber-crime. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr…

So jaise taise, I woke up and got dressed in my emergency jeans (torn from the bottom) and a casual T-shirt (I feel it good unbuttoned)…he he he…wore my chappals (I don’t remember when it was brushed last time)...took my wallet and immediately stepped down to my car. Please note that I did not brush my teeth and didn’t even apply few drops of water on my face. And no…combing my hair is something which I don’t do during such times… (Who cares?) I straightway locked my home and was in front of my car. Suddenly, I remembered that I don’t have my car key. So went back to my room, took my car key and papers, locked my room and was in my car again. The moment I started my car, I suddenly realized that my HSBC & SBI credit cards are not in my wallet and I don’t really remember the credit card numbers. So how will I make the payments…he he he…again, went back to the room, took the cards, locked the room third time and finally was in my car…Somehow I was not satisfied as I was missing something again…oh yes…my cell phone, because the message of the amount due was in my cell phone inbox. So after moving a kilometer away from my place, I had to go back again…just to grab my cell phone…he he he…Now that’s me…specially, during the time when urgency eats me up completely…

The moment I reached HSBC bank, I saw few beautiful chicks at the reception counter chatting with each other. And I was like…Wow…subah subah apsarao ke darshan…achha hai…bahut achha hai…he he he…I don’t know why they made weird faces after seeing me entering the bank…he he he…may be because of my so called emergency look…

While I was filling up the deposit form, I heard a guy and a beautiful lady whispering…Both were well dressed and were the employees of the bank sitting on a nearby table…

Guy: chhod naa…aise hi lag rahaa hai ye…

Lady : arre, we have to complete the target naa?...so we have to ask every customer about our service…

Guy : But ye koi customer nahi…balke naukar lag rahaa hai…kai log apne servants ko bhej dete hai apne bill bharne…chhod…rehne de…doosra pakadte hai…

Lady : (addressing me)…Excuse me Sir!

I try my best to ignore people during such times…and pretended that I haven’t listened to the lady…and started filling up the form again…

Guy : Hello…bhaisahab…zara sunenge? (this time, the guy addressed me)

Me : Haaji bolo…

Guy : Ye credit card kiska hai?

Me : Mera hai…kyu?

Guy : Ye aapke kisi sahab ya memsahab ka to nahi hai?

Me : Nahi, ye mera hi card hai. Baat kyaa hai?

Guy : Achhaa…theek hai. (then he turned towards the lady and again whispered slowly in her ears so that I can not listen to their conversation).

Lady : Sir…aap zaraa yahaa aayenge? Actually hum aapko ek online service ke bare me bataana chaahte hai…ye ek free service hai jo ki hamara bank aapko dena chaahta hai…

Guy : Internet use karna aataa hai aapko?

Now this time, I was really irritated by this guy…what the hell he is trying to do…was I looking that bad…

Me : What’s your problem buddy?

Now, this time, both of them were stunned…and the lady interrupted…

Lady : Sorry Sir…he is a new joinee and could not identify a prospective customer…I apologize for his behavior…

Me : It’s ok. No problems. And I am not a prospective customer, but an existing customer.

Lady : So sorry sir…if you won’t mind, can I offer you a service that our bank is providing to valuable customers like you…

He he he…just few seconds ago, I was a servant and now I am a valuable customer…he he he…I went to her table and the embarrassed guy just walked away…

Lady : Sir, my name is Saakshi and I am working here as a financial planning executive. We would be offering you an online account where in you can make the payment. It will save your time that you take every month in coming to the bank just for payment purposes…but before that, can I have few of your details please?

Me : Sure, tell me…

Lady : What do you do sir?

Me : I am working with Genpact.

Lady : Oh Genpact! So you are working with a BPO.

Me : Well, I am not working in the BPO division of Genpact, but in the KPO division…it stands for Knowledge Processing & Outsourcing…it’s more of a high end job when compared to the regular call center jobs…

Lady : Fine sir…and what’s your designation & compensation package over there?

Me : I am an Assistant Manager…and my package is XXX Lacks per annum…

Lady : Oh! So you are an AM. Please don’t mind sir…the person standing with me mistook you…I will definitely tell him that you are an AM with Genpact.

Me : Ok…might be, because of my emergency dressing…it’s ok, no problems…it’s my fault too…so never mind…

Lady : And what are you monthly expenses?

Me : I don’t know…may be Rs 30,000 a month…

Lady : Since your card details show your age as 30, let’s assume that you have another 28 years of service and if your expenses rise to 40,000 a month then how much would you have to save currently…by the way…the expenses include your family spending as well…right?

Me : No…I stay alone…what do you mean by family?

Lady : I mean to say your wife and children…your wife might be working also…right sir…

Me : No, no, no…I am still single…

Lady : Ok…you are single?…fine…well in that case, your expenses will rise when you will get married…right?

Me : No it won’t rise because of that reason…coz I don’t have any plans for getting married…

Lady : Why Sir? If that’s not something very personal, may I ask why?

Me : Now how does that impact your job? We are not here for some serious friendship. Nor will we be proposing each other…right? Let’s get back to business as I have to pay another bill and I am running out of time…

Lady : Sorry Sir…my intention was not to offend you…Anyways, what kind of work do you do…

Me : (irritated) I work for Investment Research division of a US based client…

Lady : Investment Research? Wow…then you might be knowing about investments better than me…

Me : Well…if your intention is to make me understand how to make money by investing in few stocks or securities, please don’t go ahead…I know it very well because my job is all about researching investments opportunities…so yes…I already know what ever you would be telling me…

Lady : So sorry sir…it seems that we completely misunderstood you…I won’t keep you here for long…I have processed your request for the online account that will be activated in 24 to 48 hours. Meanwhile, can I bother you for the last time please?

Me : ok…please tell me fast.

Lady : This is not concerning business. It’s about my career. I have done my MBA from Fore School of Management and have recently joined here as a Financial Planning Executive. Gradually, I started realizing that it’s a wrong move…I wanted to be in research…can you guide me?

Me : Well…see I already told you that I am running out of time as I have to make another payment at SBI…and it is almost close to lunch time at SBI…

Lady : Well sir, in that case, can we exchange our cards? And I will call you during a weekend. May be we can have a coffee together and you can guide me on building a career in research…

Me : Sure…I won’t mind in doing so…but please check with me about my weekend schedules…because even on weekends, I am mostly tied up...

Lady : Sure Sir…thanks a lot for you help…I would definitely call you…

And then we exchanged our cards. I dropped the payment in the drop box and when I was about to leave…I saw this guy having a quick chat with that lady and with astonishing looks, he greeted me – Goodbye Sir…and sorry for my behavior…

I smiled at him and left the bank only to make another payment at SBI…

May be the guy learnt his lesson – looks can be deceptive…See the twist here…the guy (me) whom he perceived as a servant actually got an offer (to have coffee) from the lady with whom he was standing. Isn’t it outrageously funny…

Oye hum aise hi nahi kehte firte…ki…HAR EK HOOR KO EK JHANDU HI MILTAA HAI…he he he

But that’s not enough…even I must learn something from this incident…and my lesson is – looks can certainly be deceptive…and I must keep myself well groomed, not just in office, but also at public places like Banks and Malls…otherwise, people can certainly take me for granted…he he he…

Now this is a lesson that I have learnt several times in life…the only problem is – its application…he he he…bus wohi nahi hotaa…If at all I start applying my real life learning into practical situations, why the hell would I have to pay my bills only on the LAST DAY…he he he

No comments: